Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Secrets in the Garden

When we moved into our house, the backyard was mainly weeds. Over the years I've spent a lot of time nurturing it and have developed a picture of what it will look like when I'm finished.

As I turn the corner toward our front door, I often look out to our backyard. I usually wish that I could add some mulch and finish off the path I dug out. And sometimes I even imagine the trellis and gate that would serve as the entry to our oasis.

Mulch and trellises always come after diapers, kids shoes and preschool tuition. Still, I want to see the path finished. I want to complete the picture.

As I've nurtured the garden, the garden has nurtured me. And as I've watched the garden grow, the garden has seen me grow.

Last week in the garden I thought about how 90% of the garden IS complete. Not only is it complete, but it's flourishing.

Looking at the garden from different points in the yard made me forget that the path even needs to be done. Seeing the butterflies flutter around and the bees rest on flowers was revealing too. They were very happy and didn't seem to care about the path.

It is easy to think that if something would just come to pass that everything would be in balance and that all things would fall into place...the picture would be finished...complete. There is a sense of security here.

You know what? Once that thing comes to pass, there is something else. Nothing is ever complete.

There are a lot of things that are growing and flourishing in my garden. That's where I should place my thoughts. In the absence of fear there is peace and security. There is faith. This is the path I want in my life.

2 comments:

Margie in Oakland said...

Wow. That is beautiful. Its a great reminder to all of us about really enjoying and recognizing what we do have, the beauty and wonder, not just the missing pieces.

Anonymous said...

Wow how the garden has changed. This is my favorite blog, so real, so insightful! thanks for sharing!
love your thoughts