Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Conflict

Lately, I can't decide if I should spend time blogging or knitting after the kids go to bed - my two new interests. So, tonight I decided to compromise and blog about knitting.

How did this all begin? What is this knitting thing? Is there a knitting movement? Is there is knitting King or Queen?

I tried knitting many years ago. I can't believe I'm old enough to say this but....in those days there wasn't a knitting shop on nearly every main street and I didn't know very many people my age doing it.

Now, when I walk down 24th Street in Noe Valley I see a knitting shop that lures me in like the Starbucks a few doors down. It's a very social place. Lots of people milling about...looking at the yarns but also following each other. The yarns are beautiful and so are the sample projects lying around. Buying a ball of yarn seems to be as satisfying as buying a cup of coffee, minus the caffeine. And the yarn lasts longer.

I never did it though...buy a ball of yarn. I couldn't remember what I learned many years back. But, then my friend Margaret started knitting this past Summer. I thought she'd do it for awhile and then get busy with other things. She didn't. She's obsessed. She has several projects going, listens to knitting podcasts and makes entries on her favorite knitting site.

Our family stayed at Margaret's house this past weekend. The dads watched the kids and the moms took the night off. Margaret and I got back around 10PM and soon after Marc and BZ started playing an Xbox game. Margaret and I were bored so I suggested she show me a few things about knitting. We stayed up 'till 1AM knitting and watching the guys slash away at their foes with their virtual swords. It was bliss and now I'm hooked.

It's not just a bunch of practice rows anymore. It has a purpose now. It's a scarf for baby Clayton, my cousin's son. Not sure when I'll finish. I've already had to unravel to fix mistakes many times. Shouldn't be too long though, and I'm having fun along the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To do 'x' or blog? Why not blog about 'x'? Truly, the essence of human wisdom. Nice goin'!

All the women in my family knit. And I have no scarf or socks or sweater to prove it -- so what do they knit all those long hours?