Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Let's Sing

Matthew's head teacher, Barbara, is so great at singing and playing the guitar with them during circle times each day. She seems to have A LOT of songs that she sings and I could never remember them all. She literally has hundreds...some traditional and others more obscure. I thought it would be nice if the kids had a CD of the top 30 songs that they could listen to at home and in the car. That way we could ALL become more familiar. Plus, I thought it would be a nice remembrance of their childhood at Village.

Marc signed up for recording, mixing and mastering, Barbara said she'd sing, and the school agreed to pay for her time, the duplication/printing fees, and to dissolve the maintenance hours that we are obligated to provide each year. Now it's finished and we're all relieved and excited!


Matthew's artwork graces the cover and Madeleine's is on the CD itself. I took pictures of their masterpieces and the duplicator kindly put it together according to printing specs.

Here's a player with a song from the CD. Just click the arrow to listen. This one pays homage to Matthew...it's a train song. There are other songs on the CD where Marc recorded Barbara doing harmonies and rounds, which I like a lot.



I think the project turned out great. The kids both got grins on their faces when we played it for the first time and they sing along in the car everyday now. They even do the funny sounds that are part of some of the songs...like the spitting sound that is supposed to be like someone walking in boots through a swamp on their way to catch a dinosaur.


Many families bought the CD at our annual festival a week ago. The response has been rewarding. Other kids in the school seem to be responding with the same smile. Apparently there are kids all over town with spit on their windows and captured dinosaurs in their trunks.

If you know anyone that wants a great collection of songs for children, let me know. Special offer to blog readers...1 for $10 or 2 for $15! All proceeds go to the school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. Especially the audio player! Thank you for this!

Anonymous said...

I want one! I love our Putamayo cd's but I'm sooooooooo tired of them. Plus, I am very deficient in children's songs that we can all sing. I'm excited to have a way to expand my repertoire!