Sunday, May 4, 2008

Will You Eat Them In A Tree?

I have read Green Eggs and Ham at least 100 times. I have read other Dr. Seuss books to the kids 100's of other times. I started reading Dr. Seuss to Matthew when he was about a year old. He took to them right away. I think all the rhyming was soothing to him in some way.

We have many Dr. Seuss books now, including 2 that are collections of many stories, one of which we had early on in our marriage. I think Marc was a fan and I became one. Madeleine likes them, but so far her excitement is a little softer.

Yesterday, for the first time, Marc made Green Eggs and Ham, using nitrite free turkey bacon as a substitute for the ham. They are holding up their plates because this is how it's done in the story. He used spinach to color the eggs green. Keep the spinach on the DL though (Dad, that stands for "down low"). The kids don't know about that part, or they wouldn't eat it with such enthusiasm.

Now they will eat them on a train, and in a car, and in a tree. They are so good, so good, you see! They do so like green eggs and ham! Thank you! Thank you, Daddy-I-am!

3 comments:

Ginette said...

spinach to color them green? Brilliant! Way to sneak in the vegetables in a fun and clever way. I love the picture too. Matthew really does look incredibly excited!

Anonymous said...

Again! The coolest!

Margie in Oakland said...

Fantastic! Too bad Max hates eggs these days. Perhaps he'd eat them green? It is his favorite color...

You guys get the coolest parent award...again.