Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Growing Garden

I've been wondering why I haven't been getting many revelations from the garden lately. Then it came to me...I haven't been in the garden. Well, that's a revelation right there!

God is like that too. If I don't talk to him, he doesn't talk to me...usually. Same with my Bible. If I don't dig in and read it, I don't get anything out of it. Amazing!

Since it's Winter, I don't really feel like going in the garden, but there are some sweet and inspiring lessons along the path up to our house.

Like in the picture above. At the front of this photo there is nice ground cover. You would never know it now, but earlier this year, an aggressive gofer tunneled it's way under it and popped it's head up 3 times! He left behind HUGE piles of dirt and big holes. I was slightly pissed, but I got over myself, and swept up all the excess dirt.

Over the next several months, I watered and watched. And look at it now. It's almost all filled in again, except for a relatively small patch back by the chimney, which will soon be gone too.

I guess that's how it is with people too. Big holes can sometimes happen in our lives, but over time, things heal and we grow. It's true, there are still tunnels under the soil that are still there. We should be careful where we step, but the fresh growth on the outside is beautiful.

That is, until your gardener gets a little crazy with the weed whacker. And then that growth seemingly disappears. Check out the picture to the right.

Didn't he see the beauty in that ground cover that I saw? Hmm. Another interesting lesson.

I'm not worried. I know it will grow again. I think it's beautiful and that's all that matters. Hey, I've grown too!

I wonder if the people who walk along the path care, if they will be willing to wait, or if they realize the potential that will show itself soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

too true! I find your first thoughts here so true for me too! You have to tend the garden in order for it to grow ...and this works in so many spots of our life too!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. there' a lot of truth in the simple.