Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Collection of Unrelated Stories

Sometimes Marc and I can find ourselves very tired with busy days, but then one of the kids says/does something really cute and funny and we both enjoy the moment. Here are some things I want to remember when I get older. I think they are funny right now. They might make me shed a sentimental tear if I read them again when I'm 80.

Before I start, here are some relatively recent pictures of the two of them together.




In no particular order...

At dinner time one night I noticed a bunch of rice on the floor. I pointed it out to Matthew and asked how it got there (rhetorical, I know). He replied, "the rice got legs and walked down there". Of course...I knew that. :)

Our neighbors gave Madeleine a teddy bear that reads stories. There is a book for them to read along. Matthew was listening to one of the stories the other day and it said that the bear was from syBEARia. "Wow", he said..."Cybelle got a really nice gift, it came all the way from syBearia".

Madeleine has been so polite lately. Yesterday she was taking a bath. After being in there for almost an hour, I asked her to get out and she replied, "no tanku". Then this morning, she wanted to watch Elmo's World Potty Training, which she LOVES. I explained that we couldn't do that right now and she said, in the nicest voice, "otay Mommy". She knows how to assert herself when necessary though...like when she wanted her milk today. She asked me first, but I was still waking up, so I suggested that she go ask Daddy, since he was already up. To which she replied, "no ask Daddy, ask Mommy...Mommy get it"! Well, okay then.

I was so pleased with Matthew this past week. One day, after getting up at about 7:30am, I noticed the light on in his room. He came to me and said that he woke up a long time ago, but decided to play quietly until everyone woke up. This continued all week. After 4 1/2 years of being woken up, we had the sweet feeling of waking up on our own. It felt SO good. As long as Madeleine continues to wake up after us, we are in a sweet spot.

One day last week Matthew was missing his Dad a lot. He asked to call him several times during the day. Each time Marc took special care to talk to him. But, on the last call just before bed, Matthew asked Marc delicately (I think he knew he was pushing it) if he could tell a story over the phone. Marc often tells him stories over the phone, but this time he just had to say no, so that he could finally finish up and come home. As I sat next to Matthew I saw his body shrink down and his face slide with it. I understood Marc's situation, but also had sympathy for Matthew. So, I tried to connect and asked if he felt sad. He seemed comforted that I cared and sat up a bit. He said, "I feel sad, but not a lot sad". He paused and referenced the story, "close, but no cigar". I thought that was hysterical and asked where he'd heard that phrase..."Uncle Steve taught me that".

A final entry on Matthew. Recently he came up to me while I was writing thank you notes. He asked if he could write a note to Santa. He said he would tell me what to write for him. We got started and this is what came out.

Dear Santa Claus,

How is your wife? I told you the wrong thing about the crane. What I really want is a huge Buzz Lightyear. Thank you for the crane, Santa Claus.

Love,

Matthew

We sealed it up, addressed it (to a family member so that we could get it back) and took it to the post office. At dinner time he said, "that mail person must be exhausted"...obviously sympathizing with the long haul they would have had all the way to the N. Pole.

Please write suggestions for our reply in the comments. We need help.

1 comment:

Margie in Oakland said...

Close but no cigar? That is so funny! I can't help with the crane since we got Max one too. He's banking on his birthday to clean up the misunderstanding.

I love the sweet stories.