Saturday, September 6, 2008

Finger Paint

It's a little messy, but really fun to use finger paints with the kids. When I first bought finger paints I was surprised at the cost. It was about $15 for all 4 primary colors and the bottles really weren't that big. I found myself becoming a little stingy with the allocation every time the kids asked for more paint for more pictures. I didn't want to use up all the paint in 1 sitting.

The preschool has lots of art supplies to choose from when it's your turn to put something together, yet no finger paint. I'd bring it myself, but it would cost a small fortune to bring enough paint for 24 kids.

So, I was really excited to find a recipe for finger paint that I could make at home. And the ingredients are simple...flour, water and food coloring. The heat makes the concoction thicken up. It's basically like colored gravy. The texture is inviting and you can determine how dark/light you want the color. Once made, it can be refrigerated and used later.

I made 3 colors in all and also cooked up spaghetti and rigatoni noodles for making designs in the paint. I brought them to the school and it was a big success. They had a blast!

Easy Finger paint

Ingredients

2 cups white flour
2 cups water
food coloring


Directions

Put water into a large pan over med/high heat. Slowly add the flour while stirring. Continue until thick. Then divide into smaller bowls and add food coloring. That's it!

1 comment:

Margie in Oakland said...

That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing your recipe!!!! Really, its funny but so needed.